UTC Awards Recognize Importance of ICT Networks to Grid Reliability, Resilience
Palm Springs, Calif., May 10, 2018 – The Utilities Technology Council (UTC) marked the launch of its annual Telecom & Technology conference by distributing numerous awards to utilities and personnel who demonstrated initiative, perseverance, and innovative thinking throughout the past year.
UTC’s awards recognize the importance of utility Information and Communications Technology (ICT) systems and the employees who build, operate, and maintain these systems to the reliability, resilience, and safety of the nation’s electric systems. From storm response to day-to-day reliability, ICT networks provide opportunities for communities to enhance economic prosperity, provide innovative new services, and support health, education and access to critical services.
UTC distributes these awards every year during a reception and dinner at the Telecom & Technology conference. This year’s conference is being held in Palm Springs, Ca.
The 2018 UTC Award Winners are:
- IMPACT Awards – To honor the UTC Associate Member Organizations making a great impact on our industry through an innovative and proven solution.
- WINNER: Ciena (Software category)
- WINNER: MiMOMax Wireless and Services (Hardware category)
- WINNER: Lerman Senter (Services category)
- UtiliSite Council Excellence Award – Bestowed on the utility organization or individual, which has demonstrated benefits with their collocation or joint use program.
- WINNER: Public Service Electric & Gas Company, Newark, NJ
- APEX Award – Recognizes individual accomplishment and organizational commitment for outstanding projects undertaken by utility telecom workers.
- WINNER: BARC Electric Cooperative, Millboro, Va.
- Connie Durcsak Visionary Award – Recognizes an individual at a member utility who has personally exemplified and embodied the visionary spirit for our industry that Connie modeled herself.
- WINNER: Sheila P. Wells, Nashville Electric Service
- Meehan Award – Established in 1998, the Meehan Award is named in honor of UTC’s first Exec. Director Charles M. (Mike) Meehan. It recognizes individuals for their extraordinary leadership in projects during the past year that greatly furthered the interests and objectives of UTC.
- WINNER: Karen Flewharty, Oncor Electric Deliver
- Dondanville Award – Established in 1989, named in honor of UTC’s first President & CEO, Russell V. Dondanville. It recognizes an individual’s extraordinary service and dedication to UTC over the years through active participation in numerous Association activities.
- WINNER: Ronald L. Taylor, Salt River Project (retired)
“Congratulations to all of our winners this year,” said UTC Chairwoman of the Board Kathy Nelson. “These awards go to the heart of what makes UTC so special—the people and the utilities who make up our membership. Every day our members work hard to bring reliable, resilient, and affordable energy and water services to people and businesses all over the country. It is an honor to recognize a select few for their service.”
The Utilities Technology Council (UTC) is a global trade association dedicated to serving critical infrastructure providers. Through advocacy, education and collaboration, UTC creates a favorable business, regulatory and technology environment for our members who own or operate Information and Communication Technology (ICT) systems in support of their core business. For more information: UTC.org