UTC Awards Recognize Importance of ICT Networks to Grid Reliability, Resilience
Fort Worth, TX, June 20, 2019 — The Utilities Technology Council (UTC) marked the conclusion of its annual Telecom & Technology conference in Fort Worth by presenting numerous awards to member companies and personnel who demonstrated initiative, perseverance, and innovative thinking throughout the past year.
UTC’s awards recognize the importance of utility Information and Communications Technology (ICT) systems and the employees who build, operate, and maintain these systems to support the reliability, resilience, and safety of the nation’s electric systems. From storm response to day-to-day reliability, ICT networks can also provide opportunities for communities to enhance economic prosperity, provide innovative new services, and support health, education and access to critical services.
The 2019 UTC Award Winners are:
APEX Award – Recognizes individual accomplishment and organizational commitment for outstanding projects undertaken by utility telecom workers.
- WINNER: Okanogan County Public Utility District No. 1
Connie Durcsak Visionary Award – Recognizes an individual at a member utility who has personally exemplified and embodied the visionary spirit for our industry that Connie modeled herself.
- WINNER: Kevin B. Huff, Salt River Project
Meehan Award – Established in 1998, the Meehan Award is named in honor of UTC’s first Exec. Director Charles M. (Mike) Meehan. It recognizes individuals for their extraordinary leadership in projects during the past year that greatly furthered the interests and objectives of UTC.
- WINNER: Anthony Suppa, Jr., Public Service Electric & Gas Company
Dondanville Award – Established in 1989, named in honor of UTC’s first President & CEO, Russell V. Dondanville. It recognizes an individual’s extraordinary service and dedication to UTC over the years through active participation in numerous Association activities.
- WINNER: Maynard (Matt) Schnell, Nebraska Public Power District
Emerging Leaders Awards – Established in 2019, these awards are given to rising stars within UTC member utilities who are dedicated to the critical work of telecom infrastructure, IT/OT, security, and policy.
- WINNERS: Shaun Skidmore, Idaho Power; Mike Unser, Salt River Project; Matt Holthe, Nebraska Public Power District; Paul Zawada, American Electric Power; Lamont Hill, Oncor; Mitchell Crocker, CenterPoint Energy; Dawn Jurgensmeier, Salt River Project; Robert Mathews, Cleco
Chairman Awards – These awards are given in appreciation for service to UTC during the past calendar year.
- WINNERS: Maynard (Matt) Schnell, Nebraska Public Power District; Michael Quinn of Oncor; Sheila Wells of Nashville Electric Service; Mike Lowe of Blue Ridge EMC; Dewey Day of Pacific Gas & Electric; Greg Angst of CenterPoint Energy
IMPACT Awards – These awards honor the UTC Associate Member Organizations making a great impact on our industry through an innovative and proven solution.
- Winner, Software: Ciena, for their new Ciena Blue Planet Inventory System
- Winner, Hardware: Hubbel Power Systems (for theireXmux 4500 Access & Transport System)
“Congratulations to all of our winners this year,” said Outgoing UTC Chairman of the Board Roger Bryant. “These awards go to the heart of what makes UTC so special—the people, the utilities, and the vendors who make up our membership. Every day our members work hard to support reliable, resilient, and affordable energy and water services to people and businesses. It is an honor to recognize a select few for their service.”